Looking Back

Daily Life Reflection Quotes Looking Back So That The View Looking Forward Is Even Clearer

Wow! Finally, the finish line is here! I stared this course with much enthusiasm and trepidation. I had quite a bit of challenges as well personal and otherwise. I feel really accomplished to reach the finish line still standing. When I needed clarity, I tapped into my team mates. They were quite approachable and very willing to assist no matter my concern. I am extremely grateful.

This course EDLM6200 Reflective-Reflexive Practices in Technology-Enabled Environments was an eye opener for me. As I navigated this course, I realized the importance of practicing reflection. From the start I realized how critical it was for professional development. Through it all, I concluded that reflection requires me to take on a questioning approach about every experience. Additionally, I was exposed to various digital technologies used to support and develop reflective practice as I became familiar with a number of them and their theoretical framework. Moreover, I was able to plan activities that integrated appropriate digital technologies to support students’ learning, engagement, and reflection.

Harvey, Coulson and McMaugh (2016) noted  that “reflection is a deliberate and conscientious process that employs a person’s cognitive, emotional and somatic capacities to mindfully contemplate on past, present or future (intended or planned) actions in order to learn, better understand and potentially improve future actions” (p.9). According to this definition, when someone is reflective he or she examines his or her practice in order improve his or performance.

We also studied several proponents of reflective-reflexive practice. However, the one that stands out most for me Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle Model (1988). Gibbs states that by reflecting on ones’ learning experience, a person gets to better his or her performance as it happens, as well as improving for the future. When one doesn’t reflect on one’s learning, it becomes difficult to improve for next time around. This goes to show how vital reflection is. It was John Dewey’s famous quote that stated “We don’t learn from experience. We learn from reflecting on experience”. This shows that reflection is not optional but rather it is essential. Furthermore, it is integral to the entire learning process.

Doing this course has shown me the benefits to be accrued from engaging in reflective/reflexive practice. I was able to design reflective activities which helped to give meaning to my experiences. This in turn created a sense of accomplishment within me and cultivated lifelong skills as I asked myself “What? So what? Now what?” (Driscoll, 1994). An old age says “change is the only thing that is constant”. Thus, engaging in a reflective-reflexive approach involved changes in the way I perceived my practice and the role I am called upon to play. I recorded a change in my attitude and awareness. Through this I was able to see observe professional growth as I reflected critically and was in turn able to improve the level of support I offer my students. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this was a truly gratifying course.

References

Driscoll J. (1994). Reflective practice for practise. Senior Nurse, 13, 47 -50.

Gibbs, G. (1988). Learning by doing: A guide to teaching and learning methods. Oxford: Oxford            Further Education Unit.

Harvey, M., Coulson, D. & McMaugh, A. (2016). Towards a theory of the ecology of reflection:       
           reflective practice for experiential learning in higher education. Journal of University       
          Teaching and Learning Practice, 13(2). http://ro.uow.edu.au/jutlp/vol13/iss2/2


Comments

  1. Hi Wendy,

    I think that quote from Dewey is very deep.

    “We don’t learn from experience. We learn from reflecting on experience”.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog